The mill is the last of seven mills that once operated along the South Fork of the Bullskin Run in the southern part of Jefferson County and it is the only "complete, operable and intact water powered grist mill mill in Jefferson County ," according to Lynchburg Millwright Ben Hassett.
Built sometime around 1750 by Abram Haines and his family, it operated as the Haines' Mill until it was destroyed by orders of two generals, David Hunter and Phil Sheridan in 1864.
Around 1870, Isaac Feagans bought one half interest in the operation and the mill began operating as the Haines'-Feagans' Mill.
About1900, Wilder Feagans bought the remainder of the Haines' interests, and the mill begin operating as the Feagans's Mill, continuing until 1947. The mill suffered a fire in 1938, though the extent of the damage is not clear.
It was purchased from Peter Drury and his wife of Winchester, Va., by James R. Mason.
The Mill is in need of somewhat minor structural restoration and routine maintenance.
On Kabletown Road, the wheel of the Clipp's Mill is still operating, and in Shepherstown is the Shepherd's Mill, which is not operable.